Friday, December 16, 2011

Cozy Feet

The other day on Pinterest I saw a cute "Free" pattern for Cozy Toes slippers.  Like many of the people who clicked on the link, I was disappointed to find out that while pattern was free, the directions weren't. In order to get the directions you had to buy a SewNews Magazine.  LAME!

I decided to try to piece the pattern together and whip up the slippers for a Christmas gift. I took a few short cuts :) They turned out pretty cute (although I've decided I need to work on my serging skills).

Fabric- I found some cute double sided fabric at Wally-world. It was fake sheep shearling on one side and a pink leopard almost-suede feeling on the other side. I got 1/2 a yard, which was way more than necessary- I think I used about 1/4 of a yard of it.

Notions: thread, rick rack, Wooly nylon for the serger.

Directions:
-Download and print off the pattern from SewNews

-Cut the pattern bigger than what you wear.  One commenter said she cut a '7' for a size 5.  I cut out the 11 for a size 9 foot.  Fit the patter to your foot before you cut out the fabric!

- I wanted to add a rick-rack tie so the wearer could adjust the fit a little more. To make the holes I used my button hole foot and made two button holes about 1/2" apart.  I placed two of these every 2 inches.  The holes at the heel are 1 and 1/4" from the edge (when you sew the ends together the holes should be about 2" apart).  Place the holes on the top of the slipper about 2"- adjust for preference.

-Sew the two sides together at each end (1/4" seam allowance).

- Pin and sew the sides to the sole of the slipper. I pinned the fabric pattern sides together so that when I was done sewing the seam was on the inside of the slipper.

-Using wooly nylon for a round edge, serge the edge of the top. 

-Baste the top to the toe part of the slipper.

- Starting at the heel part of the slipper, serge around the entire perimeter of the slipper.

-Remove basting thread

-Weave rick-rack through holes and tie in bow over top of slipper.

Viola!  Cozy Feet!  I hope my brother-in-law's girlfriend likes them. The sides are a bit flimsy, so if you don't use double sided fabric, you might try putting interfacing in between the two layers.






4 comments:

  1. Wow, these look great. They would be a perfect handmade gift. (Of course, I would keep them for myself to wear.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so comfy! What a great present!! I'd love for you to link up to my Feature Friday Linky Party

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/search/label/feature%20friday


    Danielle
    Blissful & Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out so cute! Love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete