Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Delights of the Weekend

This weekend was filled with usual laundry, cleaning, and avoiding the pile of correcting I conveniently left in my car. To relax I decided to do two things I haven't done in a while: exercise and cook dinner.

After being hounded by Facebook posts from friends and relatives bragging on and on about loosing weight and running, blah...blah... blah...

So, needless to say, I got off my butt and went for a 3 mile walk with periodic bursts of jogging. I enjoyed it so much I did it again on Monday. This is the walk that was really part of my weekend delights (ok, so Monday isn't part of the weekend, but I'm taking creative license here).  E (my sassy 6 year-old) decided to ride her scooter with me. Part of the route includes looping around a park. E convinced me to take a break so she could swing. And therein lies my delight. The huge smile that lit up her face, the unadulterated joy it expressed reminded me of how blessed I am to have her. It also reminded me that sometimes the simplest things can bring the most joy.

My other delight this weekend was cooking. I love to cook but I haven't done much lately. With my dear hubby at home now, I have had the privilege  of coming how to dinner almost made, if not already on the table. H was feeling yucky, so I meandered back into the kitchen. I ended up making a kick-but stromboli. It was a hit with the family so I decided to share the recipe. The filling was made up of random ingredients so they are more of an estimation.



The "Kick-butt" Stromboli

Dough: 

3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp salt
1 package quick active dry yeast
1/2 cup very warm water
1/2 cup very warm milk.
1 large egg

In a large bowl stir 2 cups of the flour, sugar, 1/4 cup butter, salt and yest until well mixed. Add the warm water, warm milk, and egg. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for about a minute. Scrape bowl frequently.  Stir enough remaining flour in until the dough is easy enough to handle.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and springy.  Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn dough to grease all sides,  then let it rise for about an hour in a warm place.


Filling: *These are all estimated*  Use however much is needed for your taste :)
2 to 2 1/2 cups cooked turkey breast, roughly chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup ranch dressing (eye-ball it, add more if mixture looks too dry)
1 to 2 tsp tarragon
1 cup crumbled or coarsely chopped cooked bacon

After dough has risen, remove from bowl.  Punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a rectangle (about 16 in x 12 in).  Spoon mixture into the middle of the rectangle. I cut each side of the dough into strips and then folded them over the mixture. Pinch the edges to seal.   You can let it rise again for 30 minutes, or if you are impatient like me, let it rise for, oh 10 or 15 minutes. Slide onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the top with the remaining butter.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes before slicing.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment