Saturday, July 23, 2011

J turns 5 and wants a "snake cake"

Today was J's 5th birthday. I can't believe my little man is getting so big!

Every year I try to indulge my children by letting them pick out their own cake. This year J wanted a snake. "Ok, I can do that. Do you want a striped snake? A green snake?" I asked. 

Nope, nothing as simple as that.  J wanted a BLUE snake!

So here it is: the Blue Snake Cake:
I used one bunt pan and a loaf pan. I cut the bunt cake in half and placed each opposite sides end to end. I then cut the loaf sized cake into a diamond-y shape. I used the leftover corner pieces and one reserved end of the loaf for the tail. I then frosted the cake (in homemade butter cream frosting- YUM!) and decorated it. The stripes are made from dyed sugar. The tongue is a fruit roll-up and the eyes are jelly beans.
It's not  my best frosting/decorating job- I realized that I only had a 1/2 hour until the party and had to frost rather quickly-but J loved his cake.

E and J sneak a few licks of frosting after the party!

4 comments:

  1. How fun is this! I love the things kids come up with! This reminds me though.. on our camping trip we swam at a mtn lake, and saw TWO water snakes... I was less then happy to see them... But your snake looks tasty! Sorry kinda random, Thanks so much for showing off on my blog! I am excited to explore your blog more!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute cake!!! I love that you made exactly what he wanted- you are such a good mom!! :) Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We are so grateful for your support and we hope that you will be back tomorrow to share more great ideas!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I love making cakes! I started to get into it when my Munchkin was born... Now with Little Bear's first birthday coming up I'm on the hunt for a really cute cake to make. Your snake is really good... And I love love love homemade butter cream... Was that chocolate cake? Your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! The cake was "Rich Chocolate Cake" out of one of my cookbooks that I made a little more moist (and sweet!) by drizzling caramel sauce over half of the batter, then covering with the rest of the batter. J loved it!

    ReplyDelete