Saturday, July 2, 2011

A different kind of burger for basil lovers!

Now that summer is here and I am finally done with work, my  "Suzy Q Homemaker" side is starting to show again.  I spent most of June deep-cleaning my house (despite what H. thinks, picking up is not the same as cleaning!)  and catching up on my reading list, but now I am bored. I'll admit it, my kids do keep me busy. Between E's summer soccer, play dates, and J just being plain  ornery, I shouldn't have that much spare time.

But I do.

So I have been delving into my Food Network 'zine (if you don't subscribe- do it! Great recipes that aren't that hard to make) and making some pretty darn tasty stuff.

Like last night. 

Food Network declared August to be "Basil" month. They list off a ton of different ways to use basil.  One was the Caprese Burger.  Roughly chop some basil, mix it in with your hamburger meat, top with mozzarella, tomato, and additional basil.  SOOOO YUMMY!  Of course, I like to jazz things up and only follow recipes exactly when I bake (after all, baking is a science) so I altered my recipe.  When making my patties, I added a few glugs of balsamic vinegar.  I also tucked a small piece of mozzarella in the middle of my patties.  When grilling the burgers, I added a little bit of seasoning salt.  These burgers earned tons of praise from my two darling children and a grudging "yeah, these are really good" from H, who "let" me use his grill.

These will definitely be made again.

No comments:

Post a Comment